Sunday, January 13, 2013

Petticoat Excitement!



 I've wanted to make a petticoat ever since I first started sewing. After seeing the petticoat variation project for the Elizabeth Gathered-Waist Dress in BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern, I decided to go for it and finally make one!

I searched for petticoat and tutu pictures for inspiration and read through a few different tutorials (including the variation project in the book). In the end though, I mostly improvised and played around with the fabric as I sewed.

I'm pretty excited about this latest addition to my wardrobe because now I can make any skirt pouffy!



11 comments:

  1. One of the first things I ever sewed was a long Victorian-style petticoat with cotton lace. I would wear it under skirts and my friends would ask how I got the skirt to stand out so nicely! Anyway, I really enjoyed it as a fun and different (and warm) way to be "ladylike." Maybe I should make another one . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so pretty and the poof looks wonderful! What sorts of fabric did you end up using?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Your skirt hangs so nicely with the petticoat underneath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, so lovely! I've got one of these on my sewing radar for an upcoming project :) Love the whimsical look of it! Yay for poufy skirts - and your lace skirt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh how fun - I think I need to make one of these too :)

    Cat
    catgotdressed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. And it's so pretty on it's own, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love pettie coats to! Very nice. That dress is beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete